Monday, August 26, 2013

"You will not return to your homes except under arcs of triumph!"

Bonjour!
Sounds like everyone had a pretty great, crazy week! We definitely have enough money on our cards for meals. We have this place called Carrefour, which is like a giant Walmart/Winco thing haha, so we're staying pretty frugal. I bought my coat today for 100€, but Elder Mckechnie said not to worry about boots, since it doesn't snow much and you'll just wear your tracting shoes all the time anyways. I'll probably be getting a new proselyting bag either this transfer or the next one, sometime before I leave Epinal. I need something smaller and more difficult to steal, especially if I end up in a big city. I just used my credit card because that is a little cheaper than using the debit card. The extra 100 dollars on my mission card is just reserved for travel till I leave the mission, so I'm trying to leave that alone haha. We take the hour train ride north to Nancy at least once a week for district meeting, and then again for exchanges if we can't do it all in the same day. So tell Tristan I ride the train allllll the time! I haven't really eaten anything interesting yet, unfortunately, but next Sunday a member of the branch presidency invited us over for a "mangez-vous", so hopefully I'll eat something crazy!
For laundry we have a washer and dryer in the apartment, so that makes it super easy. We just start it right after we shower in the morning and keep it rotating all day. Generally, we eat TONS of pasta and rice, because it's super easy and quick to make, and we can't waste time cooking with so many people out there who need saving! :) So, because of that I'm feeling super healthy haha. I've actually lost about 15 lbs. since leaving the MTC, which actually scared me at first. I thought, "I'm in France, I shouldn't have a worm!" But, that's just what happens when you eat well and walk for like 10 hours a day! My knee is always a little sore, but that's to be expected. Nothing out of the ordinary! Overall I'm just feeling super happy and healthy :) I actually have a little request for you! During President Poznanski's training a few years ago, President Bednar gave him a formula for learning the language more quickly. One of the steps was to have your family pray for you 3 times a day to have the Gift of Tongues. He said "it's easy to ask once or twice, but if you push and ask 3 times every day, you will see miracles!" Will you do that for me?
We commited the Saitovic family to baptism this week, but we haven't set a date yet. We would like to do that either tomorrow or Wednesday. I met some amazing people this week! On Monday we were out contacting in the park and started talking with a young man named Quinton. He said later that he "recognized the American accent right away". He is actually part of an exchange program and spends quite a bit of time in the States! He speaks incredible English. Instead of blowing us off and saying he had somewhere to be, he said he had to grab some dinner before meeting up with his friends, but asked if we would like to walk with him haha. That was different than usual. We taught the Restoration and gave him the brochure (I typed 'depliant' (brochure) several times before realizing it was French haha) but he said he was actually leaving on another exchange, this time to Germany. So we haven't been able to meet with him again. 
We had interviews and Zone Conference this week, which was awesome! Soeur Poznanski gave the new missionaries a model Arc de Triomphe, with the quote that inspired the real one. Napolean told his soldiers that "You will not return to your homes except under arcs of triumph!" That is so applicable to us as missionaries! I love President and Soeur Poznanski! They really are the greatest. We did exchanges with the missionaries in Toul, and they put the 2 bleus together for the day! We had an awesome experience and actually taught several leçons!
Yesterday we used a baguette for the sacrament bread, so I guess you could say I'm really in France now haha. I also met Frère Courage. He is actually from England, but served his mission in France and then moved back here. He told me that when he was a missionary, they didn't have an MTC in Europe, so he went straight into the field, not knowing a word of French! Talk about faith! His trainer had to teach him literally everything. But, it was awesome to talk to him, and we talked for about 15 minutes in French. At the end, I realized, I just had a full conversation, completely in French! It has truly been amazing. I feel so blessed everyday to be here and I know that it is because of revelation that I'm in France, and in Epinal, right now. Everyday we are led by the Spirit and are able to testify to everyone we see! There is nothing that can pick up your attitude like testifying of the Lord! On that note, I found an awesome scripture to share with the ward and, specifically, the ward missionaries! It is 3 Nephi 18:32. I love it! That is exactly the work we do every day.
Quoi d'autre.... Oh! Could you somehow find a copy of my line of authority for the Melchizedek Priesthood and send it to me? That is super useful in explaining to people that we have the restored authority of the priesthood, and helps to resolve that conflict much more easily. That's about it here! We're super focused on finding families right now, and I know that we'll find them this week! Next Monday I'm not sure exactly when I'll email, because I have to go back into Paris to finish up my first year legality stuff. But I'm sure we'll figure something out! I love you all so much, and thank you so much for your love and support! I feel your prayers everyday and I feel like I'm really adjusting to the missionary life! I love being a missionary and I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that this work is true! I love you!
Love,
Elder Martin

 My first real baguette with cheese


My gift from Soeur Poznanski
Not entirely sure why, but the Michelin Man was just chilling in this parking lot as we walked past.


 This is what I do in the kitchen while Elder McKechnie makes his District Leader calls haha. I had it stuck there for about 10 minutes.

There is one of these in every ville, and they just serve Western U.S. food haha. This is where President took us for dinner our first night in France












No comments:

Post a Comment