Bonjour tout le monde!
This week has
been so good! Yesterday was legality stuff, and that was an adventure
haha. Imagine a typical physical exam, but entirely in French haha. It
was interesting. But it was great to be in Paris again! Also, I got to
be with all my friends that came here with me from the MTC, which was
awesome! Elder Davis is in my district, and Elder Christiansen is in my
zone, so I still see them sometimes. But it was awesome to see Elder
Nelson and Elder Alfaro yesterday! We actually didn't see any cool
stuff, we were super pressed for time. While we were doing our legality,
our trainers all got to go to the Eiffel Tower and all that fun stuff,
but I still haven't been! I know that at some point I'll serve in Paris
and see it though, so no worries.
I've decided that traveling is not my favorite. We were supposed to take a train Sunday night to Nancy, then catch a train Monday morning to Paris. However, we messed up on the schedule and there wasn't a train Sunday night! So, we had to wake up at 4h50 Monday
morning to make it to Paris on time, and got home about 21h20 last
night haha. Crazy! Tell Tristan the train is only cool for so long. We
have 2 trains. The TER is kind of normal and not super exciting. But the
TGV, which takes us to Paris, is nuts! Somehow, yesterday we got first
class tickets, so it was super comfy. Also, it goes almost 200 mph, so
that was pretty cool.
I'll probably get my new proselyting bag today,
because when we're in the city we have to carry it in front of us so we
don't get robbed, and my bag right now is way to big to hold in front of
me comfortably. So I'll get a nice little man-satchel haha. It should
hopefully be somewhere around 30euro.
I'll try not to 'wither away' haha, but if I keep eating at member's houses that won't be a problem. We had soooooo much food on Sunday!
And it was so delicious, I can't really describe it. It was also super
good to get to know Frère Erhard better and to have Jean-Pierre there to
become more comfortable with more branch members. The language is
coming along, I hope that it will start coming more quickly though haha.
Yesterday I actually had a conversation with a woman in the OFII office
from Camaroon (the place that Elder Naughton is serving right
now). I actually got to teach most of the Restoration by myself and
understood what she was saying! It was awesome!
The building you saw on Google Earth is actually the
church, our apartment is kind of right behind it. So that's why it says
the Church's name on the window :) Unfortunately, you can't really see
our apartment from the street.
This week we weren't able to make much progress with
la famille Saitovic. The language barrier is really kicking our butts
right now, so we made an executive decision to start learning Serb!
Actually, by the end of my mission I could potentially speak Spanish
and Portugese as well, so that should be fun! That's what one of our
zone leaders has done during his mission.
We committed our ami Michael to be baptized this
week, he's just waiting on his response to see if the Book of Mormon is
true. Once he knows, he's actually super pumped to be baptized. He kept
saying that was how he wanted to show the Lord that he was willing
to follow Him, which is perfect! He has tons of faith in Jesus Christ!
We also met a gendarme named Tony Martin (we decided that we must be
cousins) and taught him the Restoration, and he's super open to it.
We're gonna keep meeting with him this week.
I can't believe school is starting and I'm not going
back! Tell Tristan that French is great and Mr. Swanson is the bomb!
Also, tell him to pay attention in case he gets called somewhere French
speaking, because that probably would have been super helpful haha. I
usually write to everybody I can every week, but sometimes it's tough.
That is crazy news! I don't know Adam Millet, but I
know the kids that were in the ATV accident. That's so sad, I hope
they're ok! That's crazy that Abby got married, who else from my class
is getting engaged right now? That's a super weird thought, glad I've
got a while before that is on my plate haha. That's so awesome that
Trace is getting baptized! I'm so happy for him, this is going to make
him so happy. The gospel really does bring joy! I email Tanner every
week, and I am so excited for him! Love that man, but not in a weird way
haha.
So today we went to this awesome cemetery, and I had
a thought. I could have ancestors there and not even know it! Could you
possibly go on FamilySearch and start looking at some of the villes
that the Martin/Casault/Larose etc lines come from? If I ever have
ancestors in villes where I'm serving, I'd love to know about that :) We
actually use Family History as a huge missionary tool, so the more I
know the better! Also, could you have Dad maybe write me a letter or an
email telling me his conversion story? It's really sad, but I've
realized that I'm out here speaking to people about the gospel and
trying to help them join the church, and I don't even know how it really
happened with Dad! That would be super cool. Anyways, thanks so much for
everything. I love you all! The Lord really has blessed me because of
your prayers, and I'm so thankful for that! You're all amazing examples
to me!
Love,
Elder Martin
This pretty much sums up missionary work!
Rows of mausoleums, there was easily a mile of rows like this. Cemetery in Epinal, France.
Part of the military cemetery for soldiers in Epinal, France.
Maybe a relative? I said a quick prayer to find a
relative as we walked through the cemetery, and this was one of the last
names that I passed!

No comments:
Post a Comment