Monday, March 10, 2014

Here Comes the Sun - Letter 03/10/14

Hey!

So first off, this week the weather has been awesome, always sunny and warm! I've worked in just my white shirt and tie and slacks all week! So that has been really nice. 

So this week has been amazing! Yes, in French we don't really say the 'ns' at the end of the name, so it's kind of pronounced like that haha (Le Mans is pronounced La Ma). It is beautiful here. Lots of great views and everything is so much more open. I'll be honest... the big city was really weighing me down. I didn't realize it, but I spent literally 12 weeks just overly stressed by the city and the lack of progress and everything. But here, it's pretty medium sized, about 100,000 people. Still a lot bigger than Rigby, but it's pretty great. Also, the work is going so good! This is the first time that PrĂ©sident has sent me somewhere where the work already exists, because it was pretty much non existent in Épinal and Bruxelles when I got in. But here, we are already teaching so much! I guess it was pretty bad when Elder Mattson got here last transfer, but now we're tearing it up. We have a lot of really cool amis and we're continuing to find new ones pretty regularly. 

So one of the miracles we saw this week was with a lady we contacted in the street. She was pretty open, then started asking about the nature of God, and his relationship to Jesus Christ. We answered her question, and she said "I knew it! I always thought that, but everyone said that is wasn't that!" After, we fixed another rendezvous, and she said that it was really what she was looking for. We have to pass her to the Sisters, but she really told us a lot about how this seems like what she's been searching for, and she's really wanting answers to her questions.

Then, last night, we got frooged twice, which stunk. We were going through our phone, deleting old phone numbers that we don't need anymore. We found one number, and the name was actually an address that the old missionaries had written down, a lady who they had prayed with and she said they could come back. So we went and found the address, and she let us in to pray again. We started to explain the Book of Mormon, and she said that she already knew it all, and that she was a member! She had joined the church as a little girl in Congo, but with the war she had lost contact with the church. Then she married a Catholic guy, and decided that she didn't want to divide the family over it. So she moved to Le Mans and never could find the church again for a few years. When the other Elders went over, she didn't tell them that she was a member or anything, but she told us and we invited her to come back to church, showing her where it is and everything! There was definitely a reason we didn't just delete the number like all the others last night! 
    
Anyways, Elder Mattson is great, we get along super well! He's from a town called Murieta, in California. He's in the same group as Elder Stucki, so that makes 3 people from their group that I've served with haha. But to be fair, there are 28 Elders in their group, which is a good chunk of the Mission, and I've had 7 companions already haha. More companions than transfers! It's crazy. He's pretty laid back, but one of the hardest working missionaries I know. He has had some rough comps, and he learned how to work ridiculously hard just to spite them haha. That works! He went to BYU-I for a while, so he knows a bit about the area. But, he swears he'll never go back there for school haha. 

Sounds like this week was a little hectic! Tell Tristan that I definitely remember those days, they're crazy but so worth it. Sounds like the boys are doing well, and really growing up! I can't believe that the school year is almost over, that has flown by so quickly! Tristan will be a senior before I know it! Ahh! Anyways, have an awesome week, I love you guys! 

Love,
Elder Martin



 The Atomium of Bruxelles


Belgian Frites Apron


Canadian maple syrup maple leaf candy = I lived with a Canadian


Packing up to leave Bruxelles


Me with Patrick and Isaac



The Soeurs in Bruxelles, Holmes and Nillson



No comments:

Post a Comment