OK, first off, I understand about the rain. It's
been raining like crazy, and the office got flooded this week. So, we
got to use a hyper vacuum and suck all the water out of our carpets all
week! Our office is still crazy because of the chaos this week, but
that's our project for Monday!
So, I'm gonna have to do a daily rundown of my week, cuz it was CRAZY!
Monday
I finished out my last P-Day with Elder Rafanomezana! It was pretty
sad, but we had fun. The best was, we spent about and hour and a half
with Josua and Laura, two of our Young Adults in the ward. They were so
bummed to see me leave, I already miss them so much! After that, I put
Elder R on a train to go to Tours, along with all of our extra food from
the apartment. The Soeurs (sisters) babysat me for a while, then I got on my
train for Paris! It was really weird riding the train alone for over an
hour haha, I felt so naked! Maybe that's why missionaries call it
'riding naked'. Anyways, so I got to Paris and couldn't find Elders
Platt and Nielsen... So I waited for about 30 minutes with no phone or
anything. Finally, I saw two white shirts and plaques on the other side of
the gare and RAN with all my luggage to catch up to them! So then we
caught a metro and an RER back to Versailles (Technically, it's le
Vesinet, just outside of Versailles) and I got to my new apartment! It's
5 minutes from the mission home, on the sixth floor, and just across
the hall from the Assistants! From our window we can just barely see the
tip of the Eiffel Tower, and it's spotlight flashes in our window at
night. LOWDOWN ON NEW COMPS: Elder Nielsen is in his 11th transfer, he's
the one I'm replacing. He's Ben's (Anderson) bleu, from Tremonton, UT. Super cool
guy, very laid back and speaks French really well. He's usually the
voice of reason in the office, just calm and composed. Elder Platt is in
his 13th transfer. He was my Zone Leader in Bruxelles for a transfer,
and we became really good friends. He's the one I'll be spending at
least the next transfer with.
Tuesday,
there was a group of missionaries that headed home in order to catch
the beginning of the next semester. So, we loaded up their luggage and
took them to the airport. I helped people check luggage, payed for it
with the Bleu card, and put people on their planes. Then we had to go
buy things for some missionaries at IKEA (apparently I'll get to know
that store REALLY well). We also had Ward Mission Leader meeting, and I
got to see Elder
Nelson, from my MTC group! He's my district leader for at least the next
two weeks. He started training the same time I did, so he'll probably
leave next transfer.
Wednesday
we suited up for a road trip! Plus, it was my day to drive! So we
started out at the office to make some final arrangements, then drove to
help the Soeurs in St Ouen with a flooding problem. Then I got to drive
through the heart of Paris in our huge 12 passenger van! I almost got
to drive around the famous round about at the Arc de Triomphe, but the
GPS took me through the tunnel underneath it. Then it was on to Mons, in
Belgium! We were going up to clean out the apartment to close it out. We
got there, and realized we didn't have the keys to the apartment! So,
we had to drive to Bruxelles, another hour north, to get them from the
senior couple there. Then we went back to Mons and loaded everything in
the van. After, we had to go back to Bruxelles to spend the night with
the Zone Leaders there! So, I got to sleep in my old apartment for a
night! We didn't get to their apartment until about midnight.
Thursday
we went around and helped some other companionships with their
apartments and got some classic Belgium food before leaving. We went out
to Dunkerque, which is right on the ocean, to drop off desks. Then by
the time we got home we just ate dinner and went to bed. We were
exhausted!
Yesterday was Zone Conference, so we were back in
Paris at St Merri for the day. I had already had the training in my last
zone a few weeks ago, but it was really good! President announced that
we'll be getting iPads between September and the end of the year, that
our mission was selected to test run for western Europe. So, we need to
start saving for that, he said it's about 400 dollars, but after the
mission I get to keep it. That is going to save my life here in the
office! After Conference we took a new bed back out to the St Ouen
Soeurs and then had dinner with the Walls, the couple that works here in
the office with us. They are so cool! He was an Area Seventy at one
point,
and helped open the Ghana MTC as one of the counselors in the
Presidency. He served as a temple sealer in the Ghana temple and is now
the mission accountant here! He also has like two doctorates in French
and
helps us out all the time haha.
Today was an awesome P day! We went jogging this
morning, and actually passed by Bishop Caussé's house, from the
Presiding Bishopric! We went to a Star Wars Exposition in Paris!
Basically it was a study on human behavior and identity, applied to the
Star Wars universe haha. You went through and studied different elements
that affect identity and watch how George Lucas actually incorporated
those things in his movies. It was so cool! It also created our identity
in Star Wars based on our responses and stuff throughout the
exposition. Super geeky, super fun! There's a link for my 'character',
but I can't go to it. But you can! So here it is: sw-id.com/53e61e73f1168
It may be all in French, I don't really know haha. Anyways, there's my week! To answer your questions:
My
knee and stomach are doing really well. The work we're doing is
helping strengthen my knee, so that helps a ton. I'm feeling pretty
good, just exhausted! My position is basically to handle all of the
housing for the Mission. Leaks, damages, new appliances, closing old
apartments and finding new ones, all of that passes through me. That's
just the clerk part, the Office Elder part includes helping with
transfers, repairing apartments, transporting missionaries (and General
Authorities when they come), picking up new missionaries and taking the
dying ones to the airport, stuff like that. Basically, we're the pack
mules :)
I found out you can send the meds, no worries! Also,
Elder Platt and I were wondering if you can send Funfetti cake mix?
Also, could you send me a pair of American Eagle jeans? Waist 28 or 29
and length like 28 or 30. We wear jeans a lot more here, and my service
pants aren't enough. As well as maybe a bag of black Nike socks? They
aren't too expensive, but those would work much better than my dress
socks for hauling stuff and clearing out apartments. Thank you so much, I
love you!
I love you so much, and I hope you have a great week!
Love,
Elder Tyler Martin
Star Wars "Character" description:
"I was raised on the forest moon of Endor,
where members of my community made their living building space stations
for visiting despots. On holidays my two close friends and I would traditionally cheer on our favourite pilots at the speeder bike races.
My parents required discipline from me but gave me support when I needed it, and I inherited my strong set of intellectual abilities from them. Later on I spent some time with the wise Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi, whose guidance left me with knowledge I still use every day in my job as a senator.
I remember this one time when I crash-landed on a strange planet. This had a pretty big influence on me, I guess, because after that I eked out a living entertaining wandering Tusken Raiders with stories from home.
People often tell me I’m a generally adventurous and curious person, I also tend to be altruistic and accommodating. But the most important thing to me is achievement: I believe that excellence deserves recognition and respect.
I am moderately sensitive to the Force; I guess that's why the Emperor took an interest in me. When he offered me limitless power in exchange for my allegiance, I fought the urge to join him and his evil minions and rejected his offer."
My parents required discipline from me but gave me support when I needed it, and I inherited my strong set of intellectual abilities from them. Later on I spent some time with the wise Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi, whose guidance left me with knowledge I still use every day in my job as a senator.
I remember this one time when I crash-landed on a strange planet. This had a pretty big influence on me, I guess, because after that I eked out a living entertaining wandering Tusken Raiders with stories from home.
People often tell me I’m a generally adventurous and curious person, I also tend to be altruistic and accommodating. But the most important thing to me is achievement: I believe that excellence deserves recognition and respect.
I am moderately sensitive to the Force; I guess that's why the Emperor took an interest in me. When he offered me limitless power in exchange for my allegiance, I fought the urge to join him and his evil minions and rejected his offer."
Goodbye to Josua and Laura
Goodbye to our apartment in Le Mans
Goodbye to my Bleu (Elder Rafanomezana)
Goodbye to the Soeurs
Belgium Road Trip!
Late night road trips = not happy missionaries:)
Us and the Bruxelles Soeurs after replacing their dryer and fixing their sink
I saw the ocean in Dunkerque!
Huge ship in Dunkerque
Reunited at Zone Conference with Elder Christensen!
Us with Chewbacca!
Darth Vader at the Star Wars Exposition in Paris
Our Star Wars identities
.














No comments:
Post a Comment