Monday, May 5, 2014

Cinco de Mayo! Letter 05/05/14

I'm pretty bummed that we don't celebrate le Cinq Mai here, but it's all good, Elder Mattson and I just celebrate whatever we want!

So this week the rain let up a little bit at the end of the week, but the beginning was crazy! First off, Thursday was a holiday, so there was no public transportation. Period. We had a rendevous with Just, which is ALL the way across town. So we got to take a nice walk in the pouring rain for 45 minutes! But, it was a lot of fun, I love the rain! 

For my MSF card, what usually happens is the mission just puts that much money back on my MSF, so I can't put it back on my personal debit card. That's usually what I use if I need to buy clothes or something. So it all evens out, and it's not a huge deal.

They're doing like a mid-season Soldes in some stores right now, so I'm trying hard to restrain myself haha. I know the deals will be better in like 2 months, so it's not too bad. Were you able to find my shoes? Just want to make sure, you didn't mention it on the list in your email, but those are like the biggest part for me haha :) If not no worries, I could get some at Soldes, I'd just prefer not to. My old ones have history haha! 

Don't worry about me getting frooged, that's just a part of missionary life. I'm used to it. It's nice because now if I ever get stood up on a date later in life, I'll just shrug it off like I got frooged ;)  

So this week I got to go on an exchange with Elder Bates, from Syracuse UT. He's a super cool ginger elder haha. We had a blast! FYI, being the District Leader's companion is a really sweet gig. Exchanges all the time and not having the responsibility part haha! I've been DL's comp for 5 of my transfers haha! That's a really long time!  

With Frank we have some half sad, half really happy news! So he moved away this week, to a ville just outside of our area. But the good news is, it's in the area of Alençon, where Elder Bates and his comp, Elder Allen are serving. They've been having a rough time finding people to teach, and it's a tiny branch (they're the branch councilors). So they now have a really awesome, solid ami that's getting ready for baptism! Also, they don't have a font there, so he'll have to come here for his baptism anyways! That should be way fun! 

Other than that the week was a little slow. We now have an awesome Muslim surrogate family though! So we ported into this lady named Yesmina (Jasmine in Arabic) and she was super nice but said she wasn't really interested. But, she gave us sodas for the road! The next week we were porting across the street and her and her husband, Rashid, pulled up and told us no one was at the house we had knocked. Then she said she had thought a lot about what we said and was really curious, and the two of them invited us in to chill and drink sodas. We shared part of our message and talked about us and them. They aren't really practicing in their religion, and they're super open. They love Americans! Then the other day we got frooged by Just so we hopped the tram and went out to their house. We knocked on the door and Rashid answered and said "We knew it was you, I'm so glad you're here!" They invited us in, fed us dinner, and we gave them the Book of Mormon! They were pretty excited, and Yesmina even said (only kind of jokingly) "Maybe someday I'll be a Mormon, you guys are awesome!" Then they invited us over for couscous, which is an Algerian dish. They're like our Muslim parents!

Anyways, that's about it for this week! Elder Mattson and I are super tight now! We got along really well last transfer, and staying together for a second one has made us really good friends haha. Have a great week, I love you all so much! Mom, Happy Mother's Day next week!

Love,
Elder Tyler Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment