Monday, February 10, 2014

New Faces, New Scenes - Letter 02/10/14

Family!

So first off, I'm so sorry that this email is super late haha. I spent the whole day packing and moving stuff and getting a new phone and bus passes and everything.  Kind of the most stressful day I've had so far on my mission haha. But I'll explain why I had to do all that later, just to keep you in suspense! hahaha!

So this week started off pretty well, kind of average in all honesty. We continue to find people to teach, because we don't have tons of people in our teaching pool. Honestly, it was a little tough because people were dropping their appointments left and right. It got pretty ridiculous for a few days. But, there were also appointments that stuck, which were awesome!  We are teaching some really cool young families right now, which really is the goal. Preach My Gospel talks about how families strengthen the Church, and it's so true. Especially here, where the Church needs that extra strength. Individuals are wonderful and conversion is an individual experience. But families bring so much energy and strength to a Ward!

We have been teaching Jonathan and Genevive, a Ghanan couple. They loved the Family Proclamation and are praying to know if Joseph Smith was a prophet. We also visited the family Stojani, a family that was baptized just a few transfers before I got here. It took like an hour to get out there, but it was so worth it!  They are Albanian, and their 9 year old daughter had to translate. It was different, but pretty much the same thing we did with the Saitovics! 

As far as other news of amis, there isn't much. Plus, technically speaking, I don't have any amis right now haha. I'm actually no longer comps with Elder Ward and Elder Richer :( I got a phone call from Président last night telling me that he was sending another missionary up to serve with me and open up another équipe! His name is Elder Utahia, from Tahiti.  He got to the mission field the same time as me.

So, I moved out of my apartment this morning into the Zone Leader's apartment because it's big enough for 4 missionaries. Then I picked up Elder Utahia at the gare at 14h and spent the rest of the day figuring out how to make this work haha. We had to go get a cell phone, but we didn't know how to get there and couldn't call anyone to find out (because we don't have a phone duh haha). We haven't even done groceries yet, so hopefully we can do that tomorrow morning!  Also, it's a big change for the missionary work itself.  We aren't starting with any real amis or anything, basically just opening up from ground zero. Essentially, it is going to be extremely tough, but I'm really excited! It also means that I'll probably stay in Bruxelles! This équipe might just be temporary because of the situation, and we both may leave in 3 weeks. But, if the mission bought a new phone and everything, we'll probably stay :) So that's good news!

It's a good thing that my French has been improving, because Elder Utahia doesn't speak a ton of English. But, he's gotten better since our first day together at the airport! We're going to really help each other out so that I improve my French and he improves his English! Communication is a little tougher, but it's really good for me! I'm nervous, but I feel like the Lord is giving me a challenge to help me grow, and I'm excited and anxious for it. Pray for us to find people to teach quickly so that it isn't just solid finding for 3 weeks! That principal of positivity is definitely in play right now.

There are, of course, the little feelings of "why did Elder Utahia have to leave Toul, why did Président change my équipe when we were getting along so well, why do I have to start over from nothing?"  But, if I look at it like that I'm never going to survive haha. It's something I've really learned this transfer, and because of it we've seen some really cool miracles! Now I'm ready to see even more than before. 

Life at home is crazy! Kylee (cough cough I mean Sister Nielsen haha) is in my prayers, she is going to do amazing things!  I've known Landon Johnson for years, he's a very great guy. I didn't even know those two were dating! haha. (His friend, McKenzie Spencer just got engaged to Landon)  I guess that's what happens when you leave home for almost 8 months. If you see Gabe and Catherine tell them congrats! (Friends of Tyler's from High School that are expecting a baby) That is so cool for them, but I don't count on having kids for a long long long long long time haha. I have a hard enough time taking care of myself! Also, congrats to Riley (Johnston)! He's gonna be an awesome missionary. 

I'm so sorry that you're sick, that's no fun! I'll be praying for you (funny how that has become my go-to response to problems haha). Anyways, hopefully I'll have better updates on our work once we actually do some this week haha. We're gonna see miracles! Have a great week, I love you all! Bonne semaine, à tantôt!

Love,
Elder Martin
PS:  Just realized, I'm the only American in our apartment haha. We have a Canadian, a Tahitian, and a Japanese Elder haha. 'Murica!


The moth man! Just a creepy statue in the metro station, No one knows why haha.


Weird wall painting near our house, we think it's supposed to mean something.





Last Comp photo! We're in front of the Arche Cinquantenaire, but you can't really see it. Plus, you wouldn't even notice it with Elder Richer's crazy gopher face haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment