Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Letter 02/17/14

Iaorana!!!

Just a heads up, that is hello in Tahitian! I've been learning some fun Tahitian stuff this week! 

So right off the bat, I have really been feeling your prayers, and I appreciate them! It has definitely been an interesting week. First off, I am grateful that I've been speaking this language for 8 months already haha. If not, it might be difficult! We have been speaking French 24/7 for the past week, and it's amazing how well we understand each other. I'm happy to be at the point that I understand everything that he says, and I can say what I want to say comfortably. He wants to improve his English too, so we both speak English and French together periodically throughout the day. So, it's an adjustment, but I'm really growing from it.

Also, like you said, starting from ground zero can be interesting. I'm not going to lie, I've had a rough time learning patience, and the Lord knows it haha. These last 3 weeks, we turned around the work in the other équipe. We found tons of people, we had cool miracles, we were seeing success, and I thought I was going to see my first baptisms. But, the Lord knew better and moved me to another équipe. Now, Elder Richer and Elder Ward have several baptismal dates fixed with some amazing people that we found :)

It was tough at first, to see that I was (in my mind) being held back from success and the rewards of my work. But that was a terrible perspective, and the Lord helped me learn and realize that this week. Right now, we have two leçons fixed for tonight and we will start seeing the changes and the success (whatever type of success that may be). I still don't know if we'll stay together after this transfer, because no other Ward in the Mission has this many missionaries. We are the highest baptizing ward, but it is very debatable if there's enough work for 5 équipes. We'll find out in 2 weeks! 

Right now we are living with our Zone Leaders, which is awesome! It's Elder Everett (From B.C. Canada) and Elder Tai (From Japan). So I'm the only American in the apartment haha. They are both called to speak Mandarin. Usually they stay in Paris, but Président is doing lots of experiments with Bruxelles right now! haha. But he is definitely inspired, because they teach so many Chinese people right now! This area needed some Mandarin Elders. We all get along super well, and we're adjusting to the 4 man. I'm still in the same Ward, I'm just living on the other side of town, which is honestly much better for contacting and porting. My new address is 194/3.2 Avenue de Broqueville, 1200, Woluwe-Saint-Lambert, Belgique. 

Tonight one of our lessons is with a Muslim man named Nabil. I guess that last week, this member named Esau (formerly Muslim) from Sweden met him on the metro and invited him to come to church. So he came to church and said he would like to learn more! We gave him a Book of Mormon, and he said that he was really excited to read it. He is very open and prepared for the Gospel, so hopefully it will go well! The other is an Indian man name Ream. We contacted him the other day, and he said that he's Hindu, but he believes in and has faith in Jesus Christ haha. That's kind of weird, but we can work with that! 

Fin, bref... That's about it for this week, nothing too exciting. We'll continue finding this week! Everyone have a great week, take care, remember who you are and don't let it get you down! Love you!

Love,
Elder Martin

Elder Martin and Elder Utahia

No comments:

Post a Comment