Monday, June 2, 2014

No Paternity Leave Here - Letter 06/02/14

Hey!

So I'm gonna start off with the beginning of last week, just to not get too confused. 

So last week, knowing that we were having transfers and that Wednesday would be shot, Elder Mattson and I decided to go HARD on Monday and Tuesday. It was crazy, we saw and taught so many people! Basically, we wanted to set it up nice for my bleu :) We were also able to say goodbye to a lot of people (yes we took advantage of it and played the "I'm leaving!" card haha).

So Tuesday night the Elders from Alençon came and stayed the night with us, and we did the Mardi Fou challenge with them :) This time, I'm proud to announce, I knocked it out in 25 minutes haha. It was crazy! But, unfortunately, it made Elder Bates puke haha. With that under our belts, the next day we put Elder Mattson on a train for Angers, then we caught ours for Paris. Now, none of the three of us have ever served in Paris, and the one metro stop we know well, to get to the church in Paris, was under construction. So yeah... we may have gotten lost pretty hard haha. On the bright side, I saw the Louvre! I only saw the back of it, and I actually only knew what it was because there was a big open courtyard and I saw the big glass pyramid haha. Didn't really have time to enjoy it, because we were running with all of Elder Allen's luggage! So we finally ended up making it, and I got a nice training on how to train :) Then came the bleus!

Like you heard on the video, my bleu is Elder Johan Rafanomezana (say that 5 times fast) and he doesn't speak English! So that's kind of exciting. He's from southern France, just next to Marseilles, but his parents are from Madagascar. He's a super cool guy, 23 years old, really really quiet and soft spoken. So exactly opposite of Elder Mattson haha. But it's great, we're having a blast! I'm getting him out of his shell more, and getting to perfect my French at the same time. This is my third francophone, but the first one was bilingual and the second spoke pretty decent English, so this is fun! OH! By the way, Elder Utahia is training too! But he totally got an American bleu haha. There were 5 francophone bleus that came in, and only one is being trained by another francophone haha. So that makes it exciting! Elder Nelson, from my MTC group, is also training, so it was a big fun reunion on Wednesday :) (Side note, had to swipe the credit card a few times this week, to get our father son ties, get him some food, and pay for some train tickets because we missed our train leaving Paris.) 

When we got back we hit the ground running hard! We went porting as soon as we got home. You'd think that francophone bleus wouldn't have as hard a time, since they already speak the language. Turns out, they're still just as terrified as us anglophones day 1! So we're getting there, it's been great to see the changes already starting :)

With all the lessons we taught at the beginning of the week, I was worried that we may have burned out for the week. Au contraire, we doubled it! I've never had a Week 1 of a transfer with this many lessons, it's a great start! We've seen JP twice, he's doing great! He was going to come to church on Sunday but couldn't because of health reasons. But, he's all set up to come this weekend and the next two after that before his baptism (and then for the rest of his life :) ) This morning he said that this is just too great, that he's never found anything that touched him this deeply before. So cool! 

I actually got to see Elder Mattson on Friday haha. He was coming back from Mission Council and his train stopped in Le Mans, so he had me drop off some stuff he forgot haha. It was cool, I'll see him again on the 19th, because Zone Conference is in Angers :) I can tell I miss him, cuz I've started taking selfies haha, definitely something I didn't do before serving with him. That would be cool to see Scott and Abby if they can make it out here, if not it's not a problem. If they're fine with bringing the package, I'm just fine with that :) For the watch, just something smaller than what I've got, preferably gold or silver or black. Just simple and professional. There's a type of watch that I really like called Nixon, but they're too expensive. But you can look them up for an idea of the style. Thank you so much! That's all I can think of. 

Anyways, so that's about it for this week. Oh! We almost got some guy kicked out of Carrefour (French version of WalMart) today haha! We were just minding our own business, shopping, and he came up and started yelling at us about why our church is evil and how we're going to hell for preaching it haha. So a bunch of workers come running over, cuz he's really screaming at us, and I just look at him and say "Cool, well we're just here to do some shopping, so we're going to stop talking there :)" Awesome experience for my bleu's first P-day! haha. Anyways, have a great week, I love you all so much!

Love,
Elder Tyler Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment