Monday, October 21, 2013

The McKechnie Curse - Letter 10/21/13

Bonjour! (or Bonsoir, since it's like 2 in the morning there!)

I know what you mean about some weeks feeling longer than others. It just kind of depends on what we're doing haha. Usually when we travel a lot it drags, but we didn't do that this week! So, to be frooged is actually not French, it's some islander language that has been English-ed haha. It does just mean that they don't show up and don't call ahead to let you know why. It happens a lot, but that's ok :) 

Our amis are awesome! Marien is having a really rough time with his health problems, and sometimes it breaks my heart :( He is the kindest, most Christ-like person I've ever met, but he just doesn't have anything going his way right now. Last night we taught him about the Gospel of Jesus Christ. It was awesome because his nephew, who is the one that sent us to teach him, was there. It's awesome having recent converts help teach, especially when it's family! The Spirit was super strong, and another nephew, (13 years old) who speaks really good French and is going to stay here to help Marien got really interested. He said he really wants to be a part of our next leçon, so we're going to teach both of them! It is amazing seeing the gospel change these peoples' lives!

The Saitovics are progressing well, and I'm really excited for them! They are reading and praying and I know they'll be baptized now that we have the help of the Serbian Elders! At church yesterday, Bata, the dad, came up to us and said, (in fastly improving French!) that he has 2 young families from Serbia that he wants us to teach! He said they don't have Christ in their lives but he wants them to, so he talked to them and they said we could come teach them! So, we're going to go meet them tonight! I will then have taught more people from Serbia than any other country, including France! It's crazy, but I love it :) They don't speak any French or English, so we'll still be using the daughter Margarita as our translator. 

We got a referral from some other missionaries for a Russian lady and her family that actually called them because they want to learn about the church :) So we'll meet with them tomorrow

M. Ricordeau is doing well, his wife is out of the hospital but we can't meet with them until November, which really stinks. But, that is coming up soon! 

I've been feeling pretty good. I had a cold but it never really headed off so I hope it stays that way! Being sick as a missionary is terrible because you just sit in your apartment with nothing to do. I've heard that the worst is being the comp of a sick missionary haha. My knee hurts a lot, but I don't think that it's a big deal. Just usual stuff haha. And when it rains it hurts a lot, which I thought just happened with amputees and people with arthritis!

 It's possible that I could stay next transfer, you usually stay with a companion longer than one. But, so far I've had a different one each transfer, and Elder Stucki, who is 2 transfers older than me, has had a different comp every transfer! I worry that I may be subject to the "Mckechnie Curse". Elder Mckechnie told me that every ville he has served in, he has stayed until just before the huge miracles and baptisms happened! It stinks, but that might be what happens with me! This is the last week of the transfer, so next Monday we'll find out if I'm staying or leaving. I really hope I stay! I even told Président that in my email to him this morning ;) Couldn't hurt! 

Sounds like a fun, busy week at home! Tell everyone hello and I love them! Tell dad that once the calluses under your armpits get as thick as the bottom of your feet, crutches aren't as bad ;) I'm glad he's healing well, it's super tough being out of commission for a while! I'm keeping him in my prayers, as well as Grandpa Martin. I sent them a letter a few weeks ago, so hopefully they've got it by now :)

Thanks for Ben's contact info, I know how bad he is with missionary letters, because him and I shared one side of one paper to write to Steven once haha. So I was just as bad :) And yes, he rocks the chicken legs :)

We do have just one branch in Épinal, which covers like 15 different villes! We usually have about 15 to 20 people each week, but we're only rocking a 37% activity right now. I got the Halloween package and loved it! If the internet works today I'll send some pictures :) I haven't gotten the other one yet. Oh well!

Thanks so much for your letters and prayers! You're all in my prayers, and I love you! Keep up the good work, and work with the missionaries! Make sure that they get tons of member present leçons, and invite your friends to take the leçons! It makes all the difference in the world!

Till next week!
Love
Elder Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment